I was driving down the highway. Music off. Brain on. Thinking about my life. With talk of Valentine’s in the air, my thoughts drifted toward my future. The simple idea of my future husband being alive and breathing, made me excited.
Wow! My future husband is alive, breathing and living life. That’s cool.
And then it hit me. If it’s God’s will for me to get married, my future husband is a real living guy. Not just an imaginary person. One day I will meet him, marry him and spend the rest of my life with him.
When I think about my future in such an incredibly realistic way, it stops me. It makes me question my actions. It makes me wonder if I am honoring him with my life right now. It makes me wonder if I’m doing him good “all the days of my life” even before I know who he is.
I decided to play one of my favorite songs as those thoughts lingered in my mind.
It’s a song that I heard years and years ago. The song is called Faithfully and it’s written/sung by Eric and Leslie Ludy.
The theme of the song is about writing to your future spouse a love song with your life. The song talks about denying momentary pleasure for purity. It’s about waiting for more than the cheap version of romance the world offers. It’s about living in a way that acknowledges your future spouse is a real person. It’s about being faithful even before you know who they are.
I turned up the song and made the words my prayer.
I encourage you to stop reading, listen to the song and make it your prayer. It’s an amazing song about faithfulness and a reminder of what true love looks like.
Some of my favorite lines from the song are:
1. “For years I have been dreaming of you, And I wonder if you’re thinking of me too”
This line reminds me that he is real. He’s not just an idea or a dream. At this very moment my future husband and your future husband could be thinking about us or praying for us. Wow! What a cool thought.
2. “They say that Im a fool to wait for something more. How can I really love someone I’ve never seen before?”
I love how this line talks about waiting for more than what the world offers. Instead of giving in to cheap romance and quick flings, wait. Wait for you future husband. Honor him. Love him even though you may have never seen him.
3. “And I know real love is all about learning how to give. So I pray that God will bring you to me. And I pray you’ll find me waiting faithfully.”
This line is an incredible reminder to practice true love right now. True love is all about learning how to give. That’s something each of us can work on right now. Learning how to give up our rights, wants, desires and wishes. Learning how to live selflessly and love in a way that puts others first.
4. Faithfully, I am yours. From now until forever. Faithfully I will write, Write you a love song with my life. Cause this kind of love’s worth waiting for. No matter how long it takes. I am yours. Faithfully
This makes me question my faithfulness.
Am I really being faithful to my future husband? If he were to find me now, would he find me waiting faithfully? Would your future husband find you waiting faithfully? In your actions? In your thoughts? In the way you interact with other guys? Learning how to honor your future husband now, will only make it that much easier after you are married. What a blessing and a gift to bring into marriage. Faithfulness.
I want to encourage each one of you to stop. Pray that you can be a faithful woman to God. Pray that you’ll be a faithful woman to your future husband. Pray that you can honor him even before you know who he is. Pray that you will live in a way that shows you are being faithful to the one man God has for you.
I would encourage you to play the song again. Close your eyes and make it your prayer.
Questions to consider…
- Do you pray for your future husband? What specific things do you pray for? I started praying for mine many many years ago. You can watch my video on “Praying For Your Future Husband” or you can read the blog post here.
- In what ways are you not being faithful to your future husband? If he were to find you now, would he feel honored by your thoughts and actions?
P.S. Comment on or share this blog to be automatically entered into our Valentine’s book giveaway.
Photo credit: www.flickr.com | [email protected]/3567881129