“I’m hot, I’m sexy and I’m in control.”
A few years back a friend of mine pulled up the computer to show me pictures of a semi-finalist on the popular show America’s Next Top Model. It just so happened that the girl competing for the Top Model title attended my friends university.
My friend was so shocked by how “fierce” this girl looked in her photos that she just had to show me. This girl definitely had the “I’m hot, I’m sexy and I’m in control” fierce look going on. She must have been trained well by the shows host, Tyra Banks.
This whole idea of being fierce was attractive to me. I wanted people to look at me and think “Wow! She’s got it”. But then I remembered that I was a Christian and the idea just didn’t seem right.
I put the whole idea of being “fierce” on the back burner and continued on with my life…Until last week.
Last week I purchased a book titled, Fierce Woman (by Kimberly Wagner), that completely challenges the cultures definition of fierce. In this book, Kimberly actually encourages us, as Christian girls, to embrace our fierceness and use it for good.
“What?!?! Embrace my fierceness and use it for good…How in the world?”
I turned the page of this new book and continued to read. I fell in love with what I was reading and couldn’t resist not sharing it with you. It was completely exciting, mind-blowing and just plain awesome.
I’ve always wanted to use the energy, fierceness and fire that God’s given me, but I’ve never really known how. Now I know why God gave me a fierce burning passion in my soul and I finally realize the purpose.
Kimberly Wagner, the author of Fierce Woman, came up with a term that just captures the idea perfectly.
She calls all Christian girls to become “Beautifully Fierce.”
Note: This next section of text is taken from page 20 of Kimberly Wagner’s book Fierce Woman
Characteristics of a Beautifully Fierce Woman:
- Her Identity and value are rooted in her relationship with Christ rather than a relationship with a man.
- She’s filled with gratitude for God’s good gifts. Her heart is ruled by the peace of contentment.
- She courageously faces her fears rather than running or hiding in shame.
- She’s passionate about things that matter rather than living for trivial.
- She loves God and others. She’s more focused on giving love than getting love.
- She’s willing to battle for a worthy cause rather than shrinking in defeat.
- She grabs the hem of God’s will and doesn’t let go.
- She protects and defends the helpless rather than using her strength to bully others. She is known as a sincere encourager.
- She’s honest but kind.
- Others feel comfortable seeking her counsel.
- She embraces God’s Word as her ultimate authority rather than being swayed by the voices of the culture.
- She faithfully confronts by speaking the truth in love rather than enabling sin by keeping quiet.
- She walks with confidence and humility that flows from her recognition of Christ’s work of grace in her life.
- She has the power to influence and inspire because she lives under the Spirit’s control.
- Her life is lived all out for God’s glory rather than the smallness of self.
Wow! I absolutely love this definition of a beautifully fierce woman. She is bold, courageous, passionate, willing to battle, defends, confronts, and is influential, confident and inspiring!
Have you ever thought of the fact that you can be all of those words I just listed? You can be bold! You can be confident! You can be influential! Not for your own praise and applause, but for God’s truth and His glory.
God doesn’t need wimpy women.
The world is full of Tyra Bank’s version of “fierce women.” We don’t need anymore. We need Christian girls who are willing to stand up for the truth and say “no more!” We need Christian girls who are willing to deny themselves and fight for something greater.
“The call to follow Christ requires fierceness.” -Kimberly Wagner
There are so few Christian girls defending God’s Word and truly living out a God-centered lifestyle. I realize it’s hard to live like Christ in this day and age. It’s not easy! That is why following Christ requires fierceness. It takes a woman who find’s her identity in Christ and realizes true strength, for the battle can only come from Him.
God has an incredible plan for your life as a girl, but, He needs you to be ready for the battle. He need’s a girl rooted in His Word and willing to do whatever it takes to follow Him.
“The fierce woman seizes the kingdom of God, grabs on to Jesus and hangs on for the ride of her life!” – Kimberly Wagner
It’s time we ditched the “I’m hot, I’m sexy and I’m in control” mindset and set our sites on something more eternal. Let’s get ready for battle girls. We need to pull out our Bibles, embrace God’s truths and prepare to fight for them.
Let’s talk about it…
- Are you a wimpy girl who follows the trends of the culture? How can you apply this message and become “beautifully fierce?”
- Which characteristic of the “Beautifully Fierce Woman” stands out to you the most?
- Are you willing to join me in the battle?
Photo credit: www.flickr.com | Crysco Photography